Over Peover Cricket Club
The old records of the Club were lost during the last war when a stray bomb hit the farmhouse where they were being kept and the origins of the Club therefore remain a mystery. What we do know that cricket was regularly played at the beginning of the century on the field opposite the original school, now Peover Cottage, just beyond the Village Hall.
After a period of inactivity during the early years, the Club was re-formed in the late 1940’s when a number of local residents,including servicemen returning from abroad, grouped together to form a sports club. Ambitions to include football and tennis within a combined organisation did not progress but the Cricket Club emerged from those beginnings. The original ground had been ploughed up during the war and was no longer available, cricket equipment had been lost and there was a severe lack of resources.
These problems were largely overcome by the efforts of Mr William Tully who, living at the time at The Old Vicarage, became Chairman of the Club. He used his powers of leadership to organise working parties and his powers of persuasion to obtain financial support from newly elected Vice Presidents. Mr James Howarth willingly undertook the administrative duties, serving subsequently as both Hon. Secretary and Treasurer and later as Chairman. Mr Jack Wainwright kindly made a field available next to his home at Sunnycroft and it is still being used by the club some fifty-five years later due to the continuing generosity pf Jack’s son, Peter and daughter, Margaret. A timber building, bought from the prisoner of war camp at Toft Hall for £12.00, was re-erected and is still in use today as the Pavilion. The meadow was converted to a cricket ground and within a relatively short period cricket was being played again in Over Peover.
OPPC History provided from:
‘Over Peover - A Cheshire Parish’ written by Barry Wienholdt and John Mottershead